Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I heart the bulk bin


This weekend I got the chance to put my produce bags--AKA the best invention EVER--to use for non-produce items. Technically, they are made for grains too, so it's not like I'm going too far outside the box here. But it was quite satisfying to think about all the packaging I was saving by eliminating the middle man (the cereal box, plastic pasta wrapping) by bringing my own bag. Just like with produce, when I got home, I transferred them to a pre-existing plastic bag. I need to upgrade to those glass jar containers which I always thought were so old fashioned, but now I totally get. The bulk bin world is so exciting! I can't wait to return and fill my bags with more cereals, dried fruit, trail mix, beans upon beans...Get your produce bags (they're cheap!) and go bulk!

2 comments:

Becky L. said...

Hi Sara!

So, where might one find a store that offers bulk bins? I don't think I've ever seen any, so obviously I'm shopping at the wrong places...

Sara said...

Good question! In addition to most locally owned health-food stores, Whole Foods/Wild Oats actually have them. They're just usually tucked away in an obscure side isle that you have to search for. In addition to the nuts, seeds, cereals, pastas, and dried fruits, you can try out small amounts of random grains that you've always wondered about (like spelt, buckwheat) that you migh not want large amounts of. Same goes for spices, which is great considering the price of them! Also, at my local health store, they sell a variety of oils that you can put in your own container. I've always wanted to try out safflower and sunflower oil, for example, but don't want to go crazy and invest in bottles of them. So explore and enjoy the bulk world!